Call For Discovery Challenge Data/Tasks
ECML-PKDD 2011: European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and
Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases
September 5-9, 2011, Athens, Greece
The organizing committee of ECML-PKDD 2011 invites the submission of
proposals for the tasks and datasets to be used in ECML-PKDD Discovery
Challenge 2011. The Discovery Challenge provides a venue for the
collaborative exploration and evaluation of novel and interesting
tasks in the areas of Machine Learning and Knowledge Discovery.
The outcome of the Discovery Challenge will be presented in a dedicated
workshop on the first or the last day of the conference, where the
winning and other selected participations will be presented.
* Proposal Guidelines
Submitted proposals should be self-contained and should include at least
the following information:
– Title and abstract of the proposed challenge.
– Contact information of organizer(s).
– General description of the proposed challenge.
– Description of the dataset used in the proposed challenge.
– Description of at least two tasks in which the Discovery Challenge
participants will compete.
– Description of the evaluation procedure and metrics.
– Short biography of organizers, mentioning relevant experience.
The submitted proposals should also consider the following points:
– The dataset should be made publicly available after the end of the
challenge to facilitate future use and repeatability of experiments.
– The dataset should be sufficiently large.
– The tasks should address novel and interesting research problems, which
do not require significant domain-specific knowledge from participants.
– The evaluation procedure should be described clearly.
We encourage organizers to seek awards and prizes for the winning
participants in order to attract participation. The acceptance of a
proposed Discovery Challenge, however, does not depend on the
provision of an award or prize.
* Important Dates
Mar 21, 2011: Discovery Challenge proposal deadline.
Mar 28, 2011: Notification of acceptance.
Apr 11, 2011: Discovery Challenge announcement: Description of tasks, dataset and metrics become available.
Jul 10, 2011: Submission of Discovery Challenge results and reports in
Jul 21, 2011: Notification of acceptance.
Jul 28, 2011: Submission of Camera Ready Copy for selected submissions.
Sep 5 or 9, 2011: Discovery Challenge workshop at ECML-PKDD 2011.
* Submission of Proposals
Discovery Challenge proposals should be submitted in PDF form by email to
both Discovery Challenge chairs. All submissions will be acknowledged by
* Contact information
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are looking forward to your proposals.
Alexandros Kalousis (Alexandros.Kalousis(at)unige.ch), University of Geneva
Vassilis Plachouras (vplachouras(at)aueb.gr), Athens Univ. of Economics and